Birthday cakes don’t have to be the grandest, brightest, or biggest creations to be great. Birthday cakes, in all forms, are a wonderful part of celebrating birthdays. At Amarantos Cakes, we appreciate all types of cake but wanted to share why in particular we believe birthday cakes are great.
Historical ConnectionThe jury is still out on the exact origin of the birthday cake. Some say that celebrating birthdays by eating cake goes back as far as Roman times. However, most seem to agree that the first actual birthday cake was made in Germany during the Middle Ages. Germans would celebrate children’s birthdays in a celebration called Kinderfest, where they would eat birthday cake. It’s safe to say people across cultures have now been enjoying birthday cake for centuries.
The ‘Birthday’ ExperienceGrowing up in a western culture, birthdays seem to have a bit of a formula:
- You get a gift or some token of love, appreciation and/or celebration.
- Then in the evening, after dinner, there will be birthday cake.
- Someone tries to subtly leave the room to get the cake as everyone waits in anticipation.
- The lights go out, now enters the birthday cake with the candles lit.
- The birthday song is sung in true, out of tune, glory.
- The cake is placed in front of you, pictures are taken, you close your eyes blow out the candles and make a wish, upon instruction.
- The lights come back on, maybe more photos are taken, then you cut the cake.