Decorated cakes must be stored at room temperature away from sunlight.
(In the instance of high humidity, cakes should be stored in a refrigerated air-conditioned room (evaporative cooling increases humidity).
|Type of Icing||Short Term Storage||Long Term Storage|
|Cakes with Rolled Fondant||Room temperature||Room temperature for up to 1 week, can be frozen(see below)|
|Cakes with Buttercream Icing||Can remain at room temperature for up to 4 hours.||Refrigeration required to keep for up to 2 weeks or can be frozen for longer storage|
|Cakes with Ganache Icing||Can remain at room temperature for up to 4 hours.||Refrigeration required for up to 1 week,can be frozen see below)|
After the event, you can store any leftover cake in the following manner. Or for uncut cakes that you need to keep for longer than recommended periods above.
- Remove all sugar decorations very carefully, such as flowers, figures etc., keep these in a box on some soft foam cushioning so as not to damage the decorations.
- If you don’t think you will consume the entire leftovers in one instance then we suggest cutting the leftover cake into smaller portions.
- Wrap each piece or the entire cake with plastic food wrap and place in a plastic or ziplock bag and freeze.
- To thaw, simply remove from the freezer, remove all wrapping and allow the cake to come to room temperature, with whole iced fondant, ganache or butter cream covered cakes you will get condensation forming on the surface of the cake and it will become very shiny during the defrost process, avoid touching the cake at this point (especially fondant cakes).
- Once the cake is no longer shiny or condensation, it is completely defrosted and can be enjoyed as normal.
- PLEASE NOTE – fondant icing consists of sugar so any condensation will cause the fondant to loose its smooth texture, but this does not diminish the taste of the fondant.
Note – the icing on the cake will most definitely absorb the moisture from the refrigeration or freezing process and loose its smooth texture, this is normal.
Storage of Sugar flower/figures, etc.
Decorations are not to be consumed and should be removed prior to serving.
You can store these in an airtight container, away from sunlight, humidity and heat.
Over time the colors will fade.